Membership is open to Tasmanian Aboriginal people who are at least 15 years of age and can demonstrate their ancestry to a First Nations Person of north east Tasmania (Coastal Plains Nation). Application for membership must be made in writing and signed by two members of the corporation. A Membership Application can be submitted to a Director or the Contact Person. Applications are tabled at the next Directors Meeting whereby the application is considered. Applicants are notified when a decision has been made, or a request for further information is required.
Please note that the membership application process can be slow:
- Reviewing membership applications can be a lengthy process as the Board of Directors meets approximately every two months, and has no paid employees. Depending upon organisational circumstances and an application, this can be up to 6 months.
- Applicants for new membership will be required to attend a General Meeting either in person or online, so we can get to know a little more about you and why you are applying to become a member of MTWAC.
- The Board of Directors may separately involve Elders to review an application where documentation or family tree lines are unclear or unknown.
- An applicant maybe asked to provide further supporting documentation to support their application.
- A membership application will cease if an applicant fails to provide requested information on three (3) occasions i.e. for consideration at three (3) Board of Directors meetings.
- MTWAC does not provide ’emergency membership’ or documentation for any purpose such as job applications, scholarships, housing, etc.
Notes for Applicants to prevent delays:
- Application form needs to be filled in and completed by the Applicant.
- Application form must be clear and legible, particularly email address.
- Include a copy of your Family Tree, Birth Certificate and other relevant Birth Certificates that demonstrates a continual line.
- Include any certificates e.g. Marriage Certificate, where there has been a name change.
- Certified copies of original documents are preferred as they can reduce application time.
- A Statutory Declaration that you identify and are known as a Tasmanian Aboriginal person from north east Tasmania (Coastal Plains Nation).
- A $10.00 non-refundable administration fee is payable upon application to cover postage and handling costs.
- Please pay application fees via direct deposit using your name as payment reference, keep your payment receipt and forward a copy with your membership application
Account Name: Melythina Tiakanna Warrana Aboriginal Corporation
Bank of Queensland BSB No: 127850 Account No: 20851166
Click here to download a Membership Application form.
Further details of membership can be found in section 5 of the Consolidated Rule Book, which can be access here.